Crystal Palace goalkeeper cleared by FA over offensive gesture


The charge against Wayne Hennessey was found 'not proven' by an independent disciplinary commission
Crystal Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey has been cleared by the FA of making an offensive gesture during a team night out.
The Wales international had one arm raised and one over his mouth - in what was alleged to be a 'Nazi salute' - in a picture posted on German team-mate Max Meyer's Instagram account.
He was charged by the FA in January, who alleged Hennessey "brought the game into disrepute" and that his gesture "included reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion and/or belief".
Hennessey denied the charge and requested a personal hearing, and an independent disciplinary commission has now found the charge "not proven".
In a post on social media in January, Hennessey wrote: "I waved and shouted at the person taking the picture to get on with it and at the same time put my hand over my mouth to make the sound carry.
"It's been brought to my attention that frozen in a moment by the camera this looks like I am making a completely inappropriate type of salute.
"I can assure everyone I would never ever do that and any resemblance to that kind of gesture is absolutely coincidental. Love and peace Wayne."


Comments