ESSIEN NOW IN AZERBAIJAN FROM INDONESIA


Image result for images of essien
Former Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien has surfaced in Azerbaijan where he has joined Sabail FC in a player-coach role. 

Essien had been a free agent since leaving Indonesian club side Persib Bandung in March last year, and despite reports that he would be calling time on his distinguished career, the former Ghana international will instead continue playing. 

"I’m a football player and I want to play," Essien is quoted as saying. "We discussed the club’s future plans with the management and that interested me”

He added as per the club's official website: "I was here three weeks ago. Had a good chat with the club and they told me about the project. I thought about it, liked it and here we are. 

"It's a different thing to what I have seen before. Looks interesting and exciting, so happy to be here."

The 36-year-old has signed a contract until May next year and will reportedly assist in coaching the club's U19's as part of his bid to attain his coaching badges. 

Essien most notable won the UEFA Champions League, two English Premier League and three FA Cup titles with the Blues. 

Comments